Transforming Power Mandala
The central theme in AVP is Transforming Power. This is the power, available to us all, to change (transform) what might be a violent or destructive situation into a nonviolent one. The basis of Transforming Power is an appreciation of one's own self worth and a caring attitude towards all others. Accessing this power requires the ability to separate feelings about someone's behavior from feelings for that person.
Guide to Transforming Power
- Seek to resolve conflicts by reaching common ground.
- Reach for that something good in others.
- Listen before making judgments.
- Base your position on truth.
- Be ready to revise your position, if it is wrong.
- Expect to experience great inward power to act.
- Risk being creative rather than violent.
- Use surprise and humor.
- Learn to trust your inner sense of when to act.
- Be willing to suffer for what is important.
- Be patient and persistent.
- Build community based on honesty, respect and caring.